After a weekend of sunshine, snoozes, yoga and relaxation, I woke up feeling rather refreshed this morning. Certainly a far cry from the illness that knocked me around last week, that’s for sure. I also continued my attempts to get in as many vegetables as I could over the weekend, particularly as my appetite started to return with a vengeance. Starting with a tasty little quinoa and vegetable salad that made an appearance for lunch. So simple, yet oh so delicious. And a perfect "pantry" cleaner. I cooked a cup of quinoa in a mixture of water and vegetable stock, until the quinoa had softened and absorbed the water. Then it was simply a matter of combining the quinoa with a variety of vegetables I had on hand. Capsicum, cucumber, tomato and baby spinach. To finish, I made a simple tahini dressing to pour over the salad. And so lunch was served. Fresh, healthy, tasty…. Vegetarian and gluten free. And a tad addictive. Especially with the luscious creamy tahini dressing. Quinoa salad with tahini dressing (serves 2-4)
- 1 cup quinoa, rinsed
- 1 cup vegetable stock
- 1 cup water
- 1 red capsicum, finely diced
- 1 green capsicum, finely diced
- 1 cucumber, diced
- 1 tomato, deseeded and diced
- Handful baby spinach
- 2 tbs olive oil
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 1 tbs tamari
- 2 tbs tahini
- 1tbs water (or more or less to get desired consistency)
- Cook quinoa in water and stock, according to packet directions. Set aside to cool slightly, then stir through the vegetables.
- To make the tahini dressing: Whisk all ingredients together, adding more or less water to get your desired consistency.
- Divide salad among serving dishes and top with tahini dressing to serve.
What about you? How do you like to use quinoa?